So forget R & R, say good-bye to the New York Times crosswords you’ve been hoarding all winter for this summer break, and just be glad Hilton Head Island supplies a weekly line-up of family-oriented events so you don’t have to organize that, too. Below is just a bare tip-of-the-iceberg look at family activities for each day of the week. Or, if you don’t see what you’re looking for here, check with the friendly staff at The Vacation Company who will steer you to a plethora of island family vacation fun stops.
- SUNDAYS – Sea Pines Forest Preserve, EcoTours, 4:00 – 4:30 pm & 5:00 – 5:30 pm – Family Hayrides, $13/adult, $10/children under 12 – Explore the Forest Preserve aboard an old-fashioned hay wagon. Also learn about the numerous other nature activities taking place each week.
For more information and reservations for EcoTours, please call the Sea Pines Forest Preserve Recreation Department, (843) 842-1979.
- MONDAYS (through Labor Day) – Coligny Plaza, 1 North Forest Beach Dr.
10:00 – 11:00 am – Yostie the Puppet Master, FREE – Watch Yostie the Puppeteer perform live center stage in the kiosk area! Maybe she will ask you to come up on stage and help her with the puppets!.
6:30 pm – The Magic of Gary Maurer, FREE – Come out for South Carolina’s Magician of the Year Gary Maurer!! In the kiosk area at Coligny Plaza.
- TUESDAYS (April through September) – Shelter Cover Marina
Early Evening – Kayaking – Fireworks Paddle, $25/adults, $20/chrildren under 12 – Fun and informative 2-hour guided kayak nature tour. Then everybody will park in the marsh with the best seats in the house for the Shelter Cove Harborfest fireworks!
Book online here or call the reservations hotline : (800) 686-6996
- WEDNESDAYS – Two things to satisfy EVERYONE AT THE SAME TIME:
6:00 – 9:00 pm (June 02/10 – September 01/10) – Parent’s Nite Out/Kid’s Nite In, $30/child, $25/siblings & Sandbox members*
The Sandbox Museum. Back by popular demand! An adult’s night out while the kids let their imaginations run wild. The night includes fun exhibits, staff- supervised crafts, pizza, and a take-home toy. Geared for children age 3-9 years. Reservations recommended 24 hours in advance.
For more information and reservations, call (843) 842-7645, or visit www.sandbox.org, or 18-A Pope Avenue, Hilton Head, SC 29928
*$1/minute per child late pick-up fee.
And while the kids play at the Sandbox, adults can check this one out down the road in Sea Pines Plantation…
6:00 – 9:00 pm (June 02/10 – August 11/10) – The Headliners, FREE, Sea Pines Center. Hilton Head Island’s famous Headliners perform their huge repertoire of dance hits. This a rare opportunity to enjoy them al fresco AND free of charge. Begin your night by shopping the tony boutiques of the Sea Pines Center such as Palmettoes, & Forsythe’s Jewelers, dine at my personal favorite, Truffles Café, and then dance off those calories by the fountain!
- THURSDAYS – (May 13/10 – August 26/10) The Mall at Shelter Cove
8:00 am – 12:00 noon, Weekly Farmers Market Center Court. Fresh, locally grown fruits and vegetables available for purchase.
For more information, call York Glover (843) 812-2919.
- FRIDAYS – (through Labor Day) – Coligny Plaza, 1 North Forest Beach Dr.
6:30 pm – Family Dance Party – FREE Another night of shopping, dining, and dancing as local dj entertains with dance music from the past and present for the whole family to get in on the act. Get there early, as the plaza center fills up fast with kids of all ages.
- SATURDAYS – (year-round) – Sea Pines Forest Preserve, CSA, 175 Greenwood Dr.
10:00 – 11:30 am – Forest Preserve Walks – $9/adult & complimentary child, $5/each additional child. Discover the hidden treasures of the Forest Preserve with one of our guided tours. Visit the remains of a 4,000-year old Native American village at the sacred Indian Shell Ring. Search for birds and animals hidden amid the trees as you listen to the stories behind the historic area.
- NIGHTLY – … And the family entertainment for which Hilton Head is famous…8:00 pm nightly except for Saturdays, (June 06/10 – August 27/10) – FREE – Gregg Russell sings under the Liberty Oak in Harbour Town. For over thirty years, Gregg Russell has brought music and laughter to all by the Harbour Town lighthouse in Sea Pines Plantation.
Beginning at 6:30 pm, 2 shows nightly Monday – Friday, and a Thursday morning cruise (June – August), Shelter Cove Marina, Shannon Tanner performs music for all age groups.